22 April 2010

fudgey buckwheat brownies



These are the most intense fudge brownies I have ever made.  Hands down.  Although, I don't make brownies too often, so that may not be saying much.  But still.  They are incredibly fudgey.  Promise.

I won't lie.  I have a fairly large sweet tooth.  And addiction to chocolate.  But when I do make something sweet and chocolatey, I try to do it with my health in mind.  All along convincing myself that if it's healthy, it can't possibly be considered dessert.  But it is.

However, I can guarantee that these are some of the most healthful decadent dessert brownies you will find - without compromising the essence of what makes a brownie a brownie.

And they are simple enough to make.  Gluten and casein free (GFCF) even.

So what are you waiting for? 

fudgey buckwheat brownies
makes 9-16 brownies

1.25 cups ghee (clarified butter) or butter
1 cup coconut sugar, raw cane sugar or honey
3/4 cup raw cocoa powder
1/2 tsp celtic mineral sea salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 organic eggs
1/2 cup organic buckwheat flour or almond meal/flour*
2/3 cup organic walnuts, chopped

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. 

Prepare a 9"x9" square baking dish by oiling well with butter and cutting parchment to fit in the bottom of the dish.  Oil the surface of the parchment paper as well.

In a small pot, melt the butter over low heat.  Add the sugar and cocoa powder, stirring until combined.  Pour into a medium bowl and allow to cool slightly.

Add vanilla and eggs and stir well to combine. 

Add buckwheat flour and stir well for about 2 minutes, making sure to incorporate anything that may have stuck to the side of the bowl.

Fold in chopped walnuts.

Pour batter into the baking dish and spread evenly.  Bake for 16-20 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.  When done, remove immediately from the baking dish and allow to cool completely before cutting/serving.

*Make your own homemade almond flour by throwing whole raw almonds in a food processor and grinding until you reach a coarse flour consistency.  Don't grind too long or you'll have butter! 

12 comments:

  1. Oh my! These look so incredibly yummy! Definitely will add to my list of treats to make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made some modifications; using applesauce instead of butter and almonds instead of walnuts and added in raisins. I'm excited to see how they taste in about 20 minutes! Only 139 calories and 5 g of fat when divided up into 9 servings.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ArmyMustang - let me know how they turn out!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just made these with coconut oil - wonderful! Very coconutty flavor and rich chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this recipe looks good, i'm just concerned with the amount of butter used. 1.25 cups seems like a lot. Could this be an error?

    ReplyDelete
  6. No error - 1.25 cups is right - and don't be afraid of butter! Use real, organic or pastured butter from grass-fed cows to get a serious boost of nutrition: essential fatty acid CLA, vitamin A and E, and beta-carotene.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are amazing! My new favourite recipe. I add coconut and a mixture of raw nuts...very popular :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome - so glad you're enjoying them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi there,
    these look delicous! Could you kindly clarify something though for me...I live in the UK, and am wondering if your cup mesasurements are the same as we use here...so for eg, when you say 1.25 cup butter, are you able to tell me how much that would be in grams? around 130 grams? When I look online, I get very different answers, depending on which site, so am a bit confused!
    Thankyou, Simone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Simone, it seems to me from my research that 1.25 cups = 12oz = 340 grams. Good luck with the recipe! Let me know how they come out =).

      Delete
  10. found this recipe today and it was exactly what I felt like baking! I added in a spoon of peanut butter and I'm currently baking them now ! the batter was a bit liquidy though, is that normal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but you tell me - were they delicious?

      Delete